This is an easy recipe that can simmer in the slow cooker all day or just an hour on the stovetop. You can adapt the recipe to your family’s diet – add extra beans to make it stretch or omit an ingredient you don’t care for.
- 3 cups of chicken broth (homemade or packaged)
- 1 28oz can of mild red enchilada sauce
- 1½ cups of cooked chicken (shredded or cubed)
- ½ a chopped onion
- 1-2 cup chopped up vegetables* (such as carrots, celery, peppers)
- 1 cup frozen roasted corn
- 1 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28oz can of tomatoes plus juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon of chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
*Tip: I keep frozen veggies on hand – Mirepoix Mix has chopped onion, celery and carrots / this time I used a frozen bag of 3-peppers blend, onion, and corn
- tortilla chips or sliced into strips tortillas baked
- squeeze of lime
- shredded monterrey jack / cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- sliced avocado
- sliced green onions
- Dice all veggies into fine chunks.
- Saute the onion, if you wish.
- Dump all of the ingredients into the slow cooker.
*Tip: it’s okay if your veggies are frozen or your chicken is a leftover rotisserie
In the slow cooker, cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 6 or so – if on the stovetop, allow it to simmer at least an hour, longer if schedule allows
Before serving, add whatever garnish you choose.
My son likes tortilla strips and cheese while I go for the avocado slices with a lime squeeze.